Overview of Society
The Rhode Island Society of Certified Public Accountants, Inc. serves a diverse and growing membership of more than 2,200 CPAs and accounting professionals in public practice, industry, government, education and new in 2015 we have opened our membership to include non CPAs who operate within the Financial Services sector, (i.e.: Controllers, CFO’s, Academics, Banking Professionals) Attorneys or Business Owners, both from the profit and nonprofit sectors.
The Society works to develop and maintain high professional standards and offers a wide array of legislative, technical support and referral services to its members. Join the RISCPA
While some may say the word advocacy beginning with the letter “A” is a mere coincidence, at RISCPA it really isn’t. As a key component to our Society’s overall mission, taking a stand on matters not only germane to the profession, but for the community we serve is critical given the body of acumen our Society represents. Working closely with our government relations/media consultant David Preston/New Harbor Group, and our Society’s Government Relations Committee, RISCPA has been successful on several fronts. We’re delighted to offer a section devoted to advocacy on our new and expanded website. In addition to legislative updates, we’ll discuss happenings through RISCPA’s participation in the RI Business Coalition. Plus, we’ll continue to stress the importance of supporting the RISCPA PAC. As a new feature, we’re introducing the “RISCPA Blog,” as a means of directly connecting with members on issues pertaining to everything political. And, given our strong collaboration with the AICPA, we, along with our sister state societies, will continue to help champion pertinent issues national in nature. Visit Advocacy Page
Good networking and relationship building are key skills common to all successful business people. Networking through RISCPA allows members to further their professional development by learning from peers with similar interest — facing similar challenges — and imparting effective solutions. Here at RISCPA we offer a number of ways for members to network.
- Fall Networking Event – this event is held at the Marriott Hotel in Providence and coincides with our morning membership day event. This event draws about 300 CPAs, Financial Professionals, Attorney’s, Accounting Academia Professionals, accounting students and political figures.
- January Networking Event - this event is held at the Omni Hotel in Providence it is known as the “Premier Networking Event” as it draws over 500 CPAs, Financial Professionals, Attorney’s, Accounting Academia Professionals, accounting students and political figures not only from Rhode Island but from Massachusetts, Connecticut and New York.
- Annual Meeting and Recognition Reception - is a special night for the newly certified CPAs, scholarship recipients and new Board of Directors as well as our In-coming Chairperson. The event has an average attendance of 200 Society members, family members and co-workers of the honorees. It is a special evening for RISCPAs leadership, newest professional members and future members of the Society. The event is held late April.
- Annual Charitable Golf Tournament – First Monday in July every year and this tournament sells out fast! This event has donated more than $200,000 to local charities.
Join a Committee of Interest
RISCPA has 17 special interest committee’s that are available to members to join. By participating you would have the opportunity to provide your input to events and community involvement as well as collaboration between peers with the same interests. Please visit committee pages to learn more about each one.
Attend one of our Continuing Education Seminars
Great opportunity to network and meet like-minded individuals that could be in similar situations as you. Visit our seminar page.
RISCPA offers about sixty (60) live, in-person seminars each year. Our CPE programs are available at a discount to members.
Membership Day – a complimentary four (4) hour CPE seminar dedicated to our members, past seminars included guest speakers from RI Senate, AICPA Chairs, RI Business Development Specialists as well as our President and Chairperson, Committee Chairs with new or exciting news to share. This seminar is ONLY available to Members in good standing.
Attending live/in-person seminars offers great benefits:
- Great opportunity to network and meet like-minded individuals that could be in similar situations as you.
- Attending a seminar could present business opportunities for you. By attending a seminar you may realize that your business can offer a solution to problems people may have.
- Benefit from other attendee’s questions/comments and different insights
- Visit our seminar page
Online CPE Tracker
Tracks your CPE credits on our website, every seminar you take with RISCPA automatically populates your CPE Tracker, and you can also add your own self-study and other seminars.
Significant Discounts on CPA Exam Review Courses through Becker CPA Review
CCH Discounts for Members – 30% discount on the CCH Tax Guide
- Society Update – bi-weekly email communication to members with updates about what is happening in and around the Society
- What-Counts.org – a quarterly e-newsletter developed by our Public Communications Committee, designed to inform our members on a particular theme/special interest by high lighting members that are involved in or experts in the subject. www.what-counts.org
- E-news – important professional news communicated instantly (i.e. important information from our RI Division of Taxation)
- Up-to-date CPE notices – we add a number of NEW seminars throughout the year and keep members informed about NEW important subjects
- Accounting Students Information – a devoted webpage for future CPAs on riscpa.org [STUDENTS]
- Find-a-CPA Directory – a free service for members to advertise services on RISCPA.org
- Significant Discounts on CPA Exam Review Courses through Becker CPA Review
- Complimentary Job listings for members and their firms
- Members have the ability to upload their resume
Paychex – Paychex, Inc. (NASDAQ: PAYX) is a leading provider of integrated human capital management solutions for payroll, HR, retirement, and insurance services. By combining its innovative software-as-a-service technology and mobility platform with dedicated, personal service, Paychex empowers small- and medium-sized business owners to focus on the growth and management of their business. Paychex is a proud to be the preferred provider of payroll services for the RISCPA.
- RISCPA members are eligible for unique benefits for their firm, as well as discounts to refer to clients. New Paychex clients referred by RISCPA members will receive one month of free services on payroll, retirement, and/or HR services, and a six-month, money-back satisfaction guarantee on payroll and retirement. To our knowledge, our satisfaction guarantee is competitively unmatched in the industry. For well over 10 years, we have refunded less than one-tenth of one percent, or had a 99.9% satisfaction rate across tens of thousands of clients.
- RISCPA member firms enjoy free integrated payroll processing (up to 50 employees) upon subscribing to our CPA Member Program. The program also provides our 401(k) recordkeeping service at a highly reduced rate with thousands of fund choices, all while you continue to work with your existing financial advisor. Managing payroll and employee benefits is easiest when they are seamlessly integrated. Encourage your clients, and your own firm, to visit us online or contact a local Paychex branch.
Meeting Room Facilities
- The RI Society of CPAs/Atrion Educational Center is conveniently located in Cranston, RI accessible from I295 and I95.
- The facility offers a 50-person conference room available for your training and meeting needs.
- Ample FREE parking and wireless internet access.
- Please call the society office at 401-331-5720 for more information and member discounts.