RISCPA/RI BUSINESS FORUM NEWS RELEASE SEPTEMBER 9, 2020
NEWS AND UPDATES:
- SPECIAL SMALL BUSINESS EVENT ANNOUNCED:
- RI Business Forum partners RISCPA and RIMA will host US Small Business Administration (SBA) District Director Mark Hayward for one of the most important events of the year – “The Path Forward: Avoiding Missteps and Navigating the Future of Your Business”. The event will help small business owners understand what decisions they need to make now – and how to avoid financial ruin. DATE: Thursday, September 17th 10-11 am – REGISTER TODAY!
- Primary day in Rhode Island looked very different this year with a combination of in-person voting (45,075), in-person early voting (6,967) and mail in ballots (34,253). As of Wednesday afternoon, mail in ballots are still being tallied but surprises have emerged, and several incumbents appear to be in trouble.
- Phase 3 Extended through September 28th: https://www.reopeningri.com/
SBA Announces 2020 Rhode Island Small Business Week Winners: News Release
Restore RI -ROUND 2 NOW OPEN: Restore RI Grant program-Round 2 (note: updates have been made to the program): https://commerceri.com/about-us/restore-ri/. The program is targeted at small businesses that have been most severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and provides eligible businesses with grants of up to $15,000. The Commerce team is providing assistance for anyone needing support or information on the program which is updated regularly
People in the News
Daniel E. Burgoyne joins Partridge Snow & Hahn: Press Release
Rhode Island Small Business Development Center is hosting a series of free events to help small businesses with their business and marketing needs. For more information, please visit: https://www.risbdc.org/Events.aspx?&days=90
AICPA Names 2020 George Willie Scholarship and Internship recipients – Press Release
RISCPA GOVERNMENT AFFAIRS - Both the House and Senate are in recess this week.
Rhode Island Division of Taxation news
The Rhode Island Division of Taxation reminds tax professionals and taxpayers that September 15, 2020, is the deadline for certain payments of estimated tax. There are several convenient options available to make payments, including online. For more information, please use the following link: https://go.usa.gov/xG4VW
All Division Advisories are available here: http://www.tax.ri.gov/Advisory/index.php
IRS News and Tax Tips:
Third quarter estimated tax payments due Sept. 15
IRS to mail special letter to estimated 9 million non-filers, urging them to claim Economic Impact Payment by Oct. 15 at IRS.gov
Using the Tax Withholding Estimator will help taxpayers avoid surprises next year: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator
COVID-19 Rhode Island Stats:
- Total number of cases: 22,676
- New cases: 54
- People hospitalized: 82
- Total Number of Deaths: 1,062
- Total number of tests: 598,317
- Positivity rate: 1.0%
- Governor Raimondo announced the launch of a new initiative called Take It Outside to encourage activities and events to move outdoors. Several state agencies including RIDOH and DBR will support the effort to find ways to move activities including dining, shopping, fitness and more outside. She indicated funding will be earmarked to support the program.
- Executive Orders extended to September 28th:
- Telemedicine coverage
- Cloth face coverings must be worn in public
- State of Emergency (Disaster declaration)
- Quarantine regulations (includes newly added rules) remain in place
- Visit https://governor.ri.gov/newsroom/orders/ for a complete list of Executive Orders.
- Governor Raimondo announced a new initiative, Back to Work RI, an innovative $45M plan to train and support Rhode Islanders who have lost jobs as a result of the crisis. The initiative, which partners with businesses and other key stakeholders, is focused on getting displaced residents back to work; RISCPA is proud to partner with RI Department of Labor for this program. The program, funded through Federal CARES Act, is being launched in addition to the Restore RI and RIse Together, initiatives announced previously. For more information, visit RI DLT website: https://dlt.ri.gov/backtoworkri/