RISCPA/RI BUSINESS FORUM NEWS RELEASE JULY 29, 2020
BACK TO WORK RI- SPECIAL EDITION
NEWS AND UPDATES:
- Governor Raimondo announced a new initiative, Back to Work RI, an innovative $45M plan to train and support Rhode Islanders who have lost jobs as a result of the crisis. The initiative, which partners with businesses and other key stakeholders, is focused on getting displaced residents back to work; RISCPA is proud to partner with RI Department of Labor for this program. The program, funded through Federal CARES Act, is being launched in addition to the Restore RI and RIse Together, initiatives announced previously. For more information, visit RI DLT website: https://dlt.ri.gov/backtoworkri
- Governor Raimondo noted the Phase 3 order (currently in place) was expiring and provided criteria in place for moving between phases and an update on where things stand now. Although the positivity rate remains steady, she cited concerns with the “Rate of Spread”, currently at (R Value) 1.3-1.4 which does not meet the criteria established for moving to the next phase, which is (R Value) 1.1 or lower. As a result, Phase 3 will be extended for 30 days (through August 28th). Phase 3 protocols remain in place with one exception: social gathering limits will be reduced:
- Informal gatherings (family, party, event) will be reduced from 25 to 15 people
- Indoor settings (restaurants) at two-thirds with limit to 125 people; outdoor settings limit to 250 people (public events and venues)
- Catered event capacity remains at 50 indoors and 100 outdoors (anyone with events scheduled above 100 can contact DBR to review options)
- Bars will remain closed for standard service and Governor Raimondo announced additional enforcement including immediate shut down for restaurants and bars not complying with rules.
Phase 3 Guidelines: www.reopeningri.com/
- Governor Raimondo discussed the Fall 2020 school reopening initiative (August 31st) and the intensive planning underway with stakeholders and municipalities. The criteria included benchmarks for readiness in the following areas: Statewide, Municipal, Testing, Supply and Operational. She also stated final recommendations for reopening will be provided the week of August 16th.
- A Facebook live event featuring Governor Raimondo and Director Hawkins will be held at 3 pm on Thursday, July 29th.
Raimondo Administration Rolls out Restore RI Grant Program
July 29, 2020 - The Raimondo Administration rolled out the Restore RI grant program. Part of a $100M package of programs to provide relief for our state’s small businesses, this $50M program is targeted at small businesses that have been most severely impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic including government regulations that limited business activity.
- Grants will be available for up to $15,000 for eligible Rhode Island businesses impacted by COVID-19.
- Applicants urged to start getting documentation together, to ensure time for businesses to prepare and equity among all of Rhode Island's Small Businesses.
- Program to start accepting applications on Monday.
- More Information
PPP and EIDL Program Updates - Small Business Guidance & Loan Resources
Legislative Committee Calendar Week of July 27th:
House Committee on Finance will meet on the following dates:
Wednesday, July 29th 4:00 pm Room 35
Thursday, July 30th 4:00 pm Room 35
Note- the State House remains closed to the public as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. The sessions and hearings will be televised on Capitol Television, which can be seen on Cox on Channels 15 and 61, in high definition on Cox Channel 1061, on Full Channel on Channel 15 and on Channel 34 by Verizon subscribers. They are also live-streamed at www.rilegislature.gov/CapTV. Media members wishing to arrange for in-person coverage are asked to contact Larry Berman in the House at email@example.com and Greg Paré in the Senate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
COVID-19 Rhode Island Stats:
- Total number of cases: 18,800
- New cases: 61
- People hospitalized: 74
- Total Number of Deaths: 1007
- Total number of tests: 356,186
- Governor Raimondo announced $100k in grants for nursing homes to help residents connect with loved ones; facilities will receive up to $3,000 to purchase smart devices and related accessories.
- AICPA and CPA.com announced the launch of PPP loan forgiveness tool, for more information, visit: PPP Forgiveness Tool
- Domestic quarantine restrictions are now in place for anyone traveling to Rhode Island from states with a 5% or greater positivity rate. Exceptions will be made for anyone who has tested negative in their home state during the past 72 hours. The list of states will be updated weekly: JHU State Positivity Testing Rates
- Governor Raimondo joined 39 other states asking President Trump to grant an extension to Rhode Island to use the National Guard through the end of the year. President Trump previously signed a provision extending the use of the National Guard for Rhode Island to August 21st (full federal reimbursement).
- Executive Orders extended to August 3rd:
- Telemedicine coverage
- Cloth face coverings must be worn in public
- State of Emergency (Disaster declaration)
- Quarantine regulations (includes newly added rules) remain in place
Visit RI Executive Orders for a complete list of Executive Orders.
- Rhode Island Small Business Development Center is hosting a series of free seminars to help small businesses with their marketing needs. For more information, please visit: Training & Events
- IRS Nationwide Tax Forums: Seminar dates, times now available: IR-20-123 Nationwide Tax Events
- Department of Motor Vehicle services are available online. DMV Headquarters in Cranston and Middletown locations are available by appointment only; other locations remain closed.
- DLT email for employers with employees refusing work or otherwise ineligible to receive benefits: email@example.com.